Being Where We Are

Being Where We Are

Monday, March 5, 2012

On the Way to The Salton Sea

WHERE WE ARE - relative to this posting
Preface:  This post ended up dormant in draft status until now, thus old news, but I still wanted to post it.  My true inexperience at blogging shines through.


Hello to all. I hope this note finds you well and ready to take on the day. I am new to blogging, but think it will work out just fine. Many thanks to my new friend, Lynda (read her blog at STILLHOWLYN) who introduced me to this concept and has given me a personal tutorial and much encouragement.

I begin this blogging journey with an account of our transition from 5 weeks in the Anza Borrego desert.......

We knew it was time to leave our lovely Anza Borrego Desert boondocking site when receptacles that should be full were empty and those that should be empty were full, i.e., the refrigerator, freezer, propane tank, and fresh water tank should be full, but were empty; the other holding tanks should be empty, but were full.

Our 5 weeks of Being Where We Are in the desert were over.

Thus, we gathered our gear and headed east on S-22 towards The Salton Sea. The drive was uneventful except for the stretch of S-22 as it leaves Anza Borrego and approaches S-86. There is a short stretch of road where San Diego County ends and Imperial County begins that is worse than a roller coaster ride. 10MPH in a Motorhome through this section is almost too fast. We have been through this area before, but to the unsuspecting, the "rough road ahead" sign doesn't begin to describe the condition of the road. It was much like frost heaves we encountered in Yellowstone NP one year that really gave us a wild ride. We personally didn't bounce to the ceiling, but a shelf in my clothes cabinet did. The shelf dislodged and came tumbling down; all my folded clothes came to a rest on those below.

We gassed up at the Salton City Arco Travel Center at the intersection of S-22 and S-86 with $4.299 a gallon for gas (ouch) and $2.99 a gallon for propane (not so bad).

We also took advantage of The Travel Center's multi-lane dump station, and fresh water outlets. This center also has a laundromat, auto parts store, weigh station, and convenience store with a whole room devoted to beer, and a dairy case that included 1/2 gallon jugs of milk for $3.69! I assume the beer is for the off-road enthusiasts who come to the Ocotillo Wells area of Anza Borrego State Park on the weekends, but the milk was just what I needed to supplement our very low food supply.

We arrived at Corvina Beach early in the afternoon and were pleased once again to have our choice of sites. This primitive campground has sites without numbers, wooden picnic tables, and a new shower building - without hot water.  (more about the our stay at the Salton Sea here. )

We are looking forward to our brief stay in this corner of the desert paradise.

Life is good Being Where We Are.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent lay-out, photos, and text. I feel I'm along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw I had 1 comment, I KNEW it was from you! My first and only FOLLOWER. Thanks for putting me aboard and going along for the ride.

      Delete
    2. I've tried to find how to display my photo on comments (is it a Gravatar?) but haven't found the magic. Tip?

      Delete
  2. Whoo hoo! You're blogging! Looks great.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina, I just found your comment under SPAM folder. I've marked it as not spam and guess next comments will show up where they are supposed to.

      Let me know when you are available to come visit us at the strand. Any time after next week.

      Delete

I love reading your comments. I hope you have enjoyed reading about where we are.